Requirements, documentation and procedure

Citizens should register in the municipality where they habitually reside. Citizens with more than one home in Spain, should register in the municipality where they spend the most time during the year.

Being listed in the municipal Register is free of charge. 

Download document here

People living habitually in a municipality who are not listed in its Register must apply to be so. They must declare that they are not listed or are unaware of being listed in the Register of any other municipality and ex officio agree to the cancellation of any listing in any Spanish Register prior to the date of application.

To proceed with the registration, the applicant must provide the original and a photocopy of an valid ID of their home country, Passport or Certificate of Inscription in the Central Foreigners Register (if available), or a provisional document of their request for asylum or valid ID for non-EU foreign citizen issued by a Spanish Authority.

You can apply for registration ath the following locations:

  • Marbella Town Hall
    Plaza de los Naranjos s/n
    Tel. +34 952 761 100 / Fax +34 952 761 184

  • Las Chapas
    C/ Pinsapo s/n 29604 Marbella
    Tel. +34 952 768 730 / Fax +34 952 838 725

  • Nueva Andalucía
    Avda. Miguel de Cervantes, 15 Nueva Andalucía 29660
    Tel.+34 952 761 600 / Fax +34 952 812 938

  • San Pedro Alcántara
    Plaza de la Iglesia 1, 29670 San Pedro Alcántara
    Tel. +34 952 809 800 / Fax +34 952 789 304

Citizens of a Member State of the European Union, or of another State of the European Economic Area or Switzerland who are going to reside in Spain for more than three months are required to apply for registration in the Central Register of Foreigners , which will issue a certificate of registry.

You must apply for registration at the following Police Station:

  • Marbella. Foreigners Office. National Police Station
    C/ Arias de Velasco Nº25, 29600 Marbella
    Tel. +34 952 762 663 / Fax +34 952 197 114

The certificate of registration as a citizen of the EU in the Central Register of Foreigners is a personal process, which should be done by the person concerned.

Required documents to apply:

  • Valid passport or national identity card. In case the document has expired, the expired document and the renewal receipt.
  • Proof of fee payment (around 10€) which must be paid prior to the issuance of the certificate of registration.
  • Official application form (Ex -18), you can download translated guide at the end of this article.

Once the fee has been paid, upon verification of the information provided, the authorities will immediately issue a certificate of registration as EU citizen which shall contain the name, nationality, address, foreign identity number and registration date.

In any case, if the applicant does not have a document issued by a Spanish Authority, Spanish Law allows listing in the Register with the number of an identity document or valid Passport issued by the country of origin. This does not imply, however, that there is no further obligation for inscription in the Central Foreigners Register (certificate of registration as a citizen of the European Union).

Citizens need to provide evidence to demonstrate habitual residence at the address such as, for example:

  • Deed of ownership of the property
  • Rental contract
  • Authorisation by the owner of the house to be listed using that address, together with a photocopy of the owner’s DNI, passport or other personal identity document. Sometimes, the presence of the house owner will be requested to demonstrate their agreement to the municipal officer.
  • In some Local Councils, other means of demonstrating home ownership such as the latest utility receipts (water, gas, electricity, etc.) may also be accepted.

Non-emancipated minors and disabled elderly people will have the same residence as those looking after them or those with custody, or in their absence, their legal representatives, except when these provide written authorisation for residence in another municipality. For listing minors whose parents are separated or divorced, authorisation from both parents or the original and photocopy of the court ruling or regulating agreement demonstrating custody or guardianship must be provided.

Registration and Residency