Accessibility Tools


Remains of Arabic Castle: Alcazaba and Walls

Read 495 times

The castle is the most important trace of Muslim civilization preserved in the centre of Marbella and it takes its place within the framework of what has come to be called the Historical Centre.

Its perimeter is defined by the outline of the current streets: Solano, Portada, Arte, Salinas, Trinidad, Carmen, Ortiz del Molinillo and Virgen de los Dolores.

The castle consists of two enclosures, both with quadrangular floors.

In its construction we find a mixture of building materials and techniques. Embedded Roman capitals may be seen on one of the towers and other materials such as ashlars from caliphal building works, together with roman pieces in the raising of reformed towers. Other studies find construction remains such as nodules of mortar, opus signinum, stuccos, bricks and tegulas, together with some ceramic fragments from the Orientalizing Period… etc. All these discoveries indicate different construction dates but the majority supports the theory that the building works coincide with caliphal design, without entering into the question of a prior construction.

Its walls (XI and XII century) were peppered with ten towers (maybe eleven), of which we know the names as designated by the Christian conquerors:

  • Torre de la Campana (Bell Tower)
  • Torre del Puente Levadizo (Drawbridge Tower) Located in the confluence of Portada-Solano-Escuela streets.
  • Torre del Homenaje (Homage Tower)-Torre del Chorrón (Tower of the Water Well) Located in the centre of Portada Street.
  • Torre del cubo (Cube Tower) – Torre de Santa María (Santa María Tower) Located in the confluence of Portada and Arte streets. This tower has attached to it a curved frontispiece for pyro-ballistic purposes.
  • Torre Blanca (White Tower) on the confluence of Plaza de la Iglesia and calle Carmen
  • Torre del Reloj (Clock Tower). Located in calle Carmen
  • Torre de la Puerta de Hierro (Iron Door Tower)

In the confluence of Virgen de los Dolores-Ortiz de Molinillos streets.

Following the surrender of the town on 11th of June 1485, the fortress would be used to control the area, until the year 1492, the end of the war, when its function would be for vigilance of the coastlines, and undergoing slight reparation work.

In the year 1735 a project was prepared for its restoration.

Image Gallery (12)

Copyright © 2003-2003 - Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Marbella - Todos los derechos reservados